Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:02:16 -0400
From:      Boucher Eric <eric.boucher24@sympatico.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD with IRIX

Hi,

I wanted to know something:

I recently bring my computer with FreeBSD on it where I work. I try to
log on the network there (they use IRIX for their network). The command
"rlogin" works when I'm in the basic shell (the one that appear when you
boot for the first time without starting the X Server with "startx or
xinit") but it didn't work when I'm use it in a terminal in my X Server
(I use WindowMaker with a session of Gnome).Why? What's the differance
between doing the command in the basic shell or in a Xterminal?

I also want to know if it's possible to run the application of the IRIX
machine via telnet or something else on my i386 architecture.

Is there also a way to log in directly via the login prompt to the IRIX
network. The only way we can communicate presently, is by "rlogin" (when
I'm the basic shell) or by telnet (it works either in a Xterminal or the
basic shell). We wanted to be able to log on the LAN just by typing a
username and a password (is it possible with 2 differant version of Unix
and also 2 differant architecture?).

I hope I was clear, don't hesitate to tell me more specific question to
answer my questions.

Thanks a lot.