Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 14:59:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com>, D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: /etc/defaults/rc.conf theory

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Jan Grant wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Calvin NG wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> >   I believe when people say copy rc.conf from /etc/defaults/ into
> >   /etc/, and go throught it line by line, they really mean,
> >   1) copy rc.conf from /etc/defaults/  to /etc/
> >   2) go through it line by line, deleting every line that you want
> >      leave as default.  Make changes to the site specific stuff,
> >      like  sshd_enable=YES
> >
> >   At the end of the whole exercise, you will get that small rc.conf
> >   again that is tailored to your server's need.

	That is indeed what I intended, if I did not make myself clear, I
apologize. My rc.conf file on my gateway/mail server/file server box has
57 lines. My crash box has 26, about half of which are there just because
I test /etc/rc* stuff a lot. /etc/defaults/rc.conf has 250+ variables.

> Yes; however, I'd rather do this once at install time than after every
> buildworld.

	You should only have to do it once. Just do it for everything that
you care about.

> Maybe (I always review changes with mergemaster), but it's a reasonable
> assumption that existing default switches stay the same along a -stable
> track, so don't "blame" yourself too much.

	Well, more and more people have expressed this same opinion.
gshapiro already reverted the sendmail change, so the one left to discuss
is inetd. At this point changing the default back seems to be the most
reasonable course of action, even though everything in /etc/inetd.conf is
off by default.

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?