Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:49:46 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Gorton Zhao Guo Wei <gwzhao@multiwave.com.sg>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A couple of questions to FreeBSD

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998 at 13:30 SAT, Gorton Zhao Guo Wei wrote:

> 1 -- I want to use the FreeBSD as my web server and also link my web pages
> to a data-base. I want to know if there is any database management program
> like SQL server in the FreeBSD. Maybe, Oracle is the one, but as I know, it
> has yet supported to FreeBSD.

There are a number of database servers for FreeBSD supporting subsets or
extended subsets of ANSI SQL, e.g.:

PostgreSQL	- http://www.postgresql.org/
MySQL		- http://www.tcx.se/
MiniSQL		- http://www.hughes.com.au/

> 2 -- FreeBSD is quite popular to the world of Internet server. May I have a
> list of server functions which FreeBSD has integrated to operating system,
> another word they are in 4 CDs of FreeBSD?

Quite so.  Being a (very) close descendant of BSD, you might say FreeBSD is
the archetypal Internet server.  Also remember that with FreeBSD you're not
locked into a vendor.  The upshot of all this is that if there's any function
you need an Internet server to perform, FreeBSD can do it, possibly in
conjunction with one of thousands of packages which have been developed over
the years by the Unix / free software community.

> 3 -- I have a Microsoft backoffice small business server. Can I have a list
> of FreeBSD software which has the similar functionality to MS Proxy server,
> MS SQL server, MS fax server and MS Exchange server. I want to compare
> FreeBSD against MS backoffice small business server. I would like have your
> opinion of this.

- I've already discussed SQL servers.
- Squid is an _excellent_ proxy server: http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/
- MS Exchange performs a number of functions.  FreeBSD installs with Sendmail
  as SMTP server.  There are a number of POP3 and/or IMAP servers you can use
  with FreeBSD.
- Personally, I'm not familiar with fax servers.

In general, you'll be able to answer many of your questions yourself if you
peruse the ports database at http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

> 4 -- Is it possible for FreeBSD to use as a router?

Very much so.  With packet filtering, if necessary.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878