Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 12:23:11 +0100 (BST)
From:      Gordon Henderson <gordon@drogon.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and 3com590/595 cards.

I recently built a new server with FreeBSD 2.2-960501-SNAP to make use of
the 3com590 cards that we wished to use.

The driver support for them is very flakey. I can repeatedly cause the
system to stop all traffic flowing over the ethernet card, requiring an
  ifconfig vx0 down ; sleep 1 ; ifconfig vx0 up
to restore connectivity.

Is anyone working on a better driver? especially one that uses all
features of the hardware (and not just polling) as we also have a
requirement to use 3c595's as soon as possible to make use of their
100Mb/sec transfers.

Gordon