Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:34:09 -0800
From:      Ed Hall <edhall@weirdnoise.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-I18N@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        edhall@weirdnoise.com
Subject:   Standard wchar_t functions missing

We have a senior developer at Yahoo! who is complaining about FreeBSD's
lack of support for wchar_t.  In particular, the ISO/ANSI and UNIX98
wide character functions are missing.  This isn't the first time someone
has complained about this -- internationalization is extremely important
at Yahoo!, as you might guess.

He wants to move his project to Linux for this and other reasons.
I don't think this will happen, but I hear the threat more and more,
and unlike most occasions there isn't a ready comeback.

Now, I've done a bit of digging in the FreeBSD archives, and discovered
that Itojun and his group have announced that their support for wchar_t
is ready for integration.  This was a month ago--has there been any
progress in getting this going?  Anything I can do to speed the process?

		-Ed