Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:53:23 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        'Steve M' <slavik944@metconnect.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs linux (some venting)

On Monday, 22 January 2001 at  1:01:47 -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Steve M wrote:
>>
>> The *nix OS' lack sufficient documentation for the average
>> user.  I'm a little above the average user so I've
>
> What an insult!  What about my book that was just released?  And
> what about Greg's book "The Complete FreeBSD" that has been out
> longer than that?  What is lacking in those efforts?  And, the
> bookstores are stuffed with Linux books!!

I wouldn't call that an insult.  First, your book has really *only*
*just* hit the bookstands, and secondly there's the little word
"sufficient" in the original.  That's pretty much an objective
viewpoint.  It would be better to ask what's missing.

> Your not going to get a manual, bound and all that, for the $30
> distribution cost of the CDs!  For that matter you don't get a
> manual with Microsoft's products either unless you spend $150 for
> the Resourse Kit
>
>> I'm not a geek nor do I profess to be one, I just dont have the
>> time to putz around with a minor thing as compared to MS's way of
>> doing something.
>
> If you took someone who has never seen, never touched a computer
> before and sat them in front of a FreeBSD system, I wager it would
> take just as long to train them to use it as to train them to
> use Windows.  MS's way only seems easier because you learned it
> first.

Indeed.  That's my problem with your book :-)  You assume that people
already know Microsoft.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.