Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 2001 16:25:21 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Simon Epsteyn <seva@fnal.gov>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, Chris Yeoh <cyeoh@linuxcare.com.au>, Anton Blanchard <anton@linuxcare.com>
Subject:   Re: AiroNet 'No card in database for "(null)"("(null)")' problem (4.2-STABLE)

In message <Pine.LNX.4.10.10102061705120.7871-100000@null.cc.uic.edu> Simon Epsteyn writes:
: On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Warner Losh wrote:
:
: > In message <Pine.LNX.4.10.10102061254420.7871-100000@null.cc.uic.edu> Simon Epsteyn writes:
: > : One could say "It's a pity this card doesn't work in FreeBSD" :)
: >
: > But it does work on FreeBSD.  I have a very similar card that probes
: > w/o a problem.  I think it may be a memory conflict.  You'll notice
: > that Linux uses high memory (0x68000000) while we're trying to use
: > memory in the isa hole.
:
: Correct, I've helped people set up similiar cards on different laptops
: w/out any problems, the question is what do I do in FreeBSD to get it to
: work?

Configure it correctly :-).  We're working on making it easier to
configure, but right now it is a bit of a pain.  Most of the pain is
well documented in the archives.

: Is there a way to see what is using 0xd0000 area or a way to make pccardd
: use high memory?

No.  There's no way to know for sure if something is in use or not,
but you can make a good guess.  Do a dd bs=4096 skip=208 count=1 | hexdump
and see what you get.  If it is in use, then you'll see lots of random
values, if not, you'll see all 0xff typically (or 0x00).

If it is in use, you'll need to adjust two values.  The first one is
the pccard_mem=0xd8000 in /etc/rc.conf.  You'll also need to ensure
that the io ranges, memory ranges and especially IRQs are really free
in /etc/pccard.conf (note, not /etc/default/pccard.conf).  If you've
not setup /etc/pccard.conf, you'll need to do that, but that's easy.
Likely somethign like

# Generally available IO ports
io	0x300-0x360
# Generally available IRQs (Built-in sound-card owners remove 5)
irq	10 11
# Available memory slots
memory	0xdc000  16k

would do the trick.  However, the actual values may vary with laptops.

Warner