Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:04:08 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Athlon Processors

Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net> wrote:

> >      Do a google groups search on "via chipset ide corruption".  You
> >might be surprised at what you find.  Just because you don't have
> >problems, doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist.
>
> Ok I'll give you that much.
>
> But the flip side of that coin is that just because some people are having
> problems doesn't mean that it's defective hardware, or even if it is
> hardware, it doesn't by definition mean it's the chipset.

     True, but the situation is different in this case.  No one's making
wild-*ss accusations (well, not for a *long* time, at least ;-).  *LOTS*
of people have been complaining about the bug (use Google groups to see
the postings), and VIA supposedly admitted to the bug back in April (I
think).  Linux supposedly has patches/workarounds for it.  Now, if that
was false, you'd think that VIA would have denied it, released numerous
press releases, and ask that the incorrect information be retracted (or
unleashed the lawyers upon the foolish).  However, I haven't seen any of
this done (although, admittedly, I haven't exactly be looking for it).

> As it turns out, the great majority of these
> problems were -other- cheap hardware used in building the machines and
> other forms of user error such as :

     Oh, definitely, and people are still using piddly-small power
supplies, too.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com