Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:17:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dave Bodenstab <imdave@mcs.net>
To:        frederick.arioli@lmms.lmco.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TAR command from SGI ws to BSD

From: "Frederick G. Arioli" <frederick.arioli@lmms.lmco.com>
> I downloaded some Fortran source code (VAX) from 6250 bpi tape to a
> Silicon Graphics UNIX workstation.  I then tar'd the contents of the SGI
> hard drive onto 4mm DAT.  I took the DAT to my BSD box at home and
> attempted to read the tape with tar -x.  I get a message that BSD can't
> recognize the format.  Do I need to reorder the byte order to read the
> tape from BSD?

Assuming that the BSD box can read the tape...  you might try using
cpio to write the tape -- make sure you use the ascii format (cpio
-oc).  If that still doesn't work, use something like GNU shar and
just use dd to copy the result to the tape (you might have to pad
the shar file with zeros or something to make sure dd copies the
entire file to the tape if you get into blocksize problems with
the tape.)

> Are there any Fortran 77 compilers around that will run on BSD?

f77 (which uses f2c) comes with FreeBSD.  (You should have already
seen a previous reply mentioning g77 in the ports.)

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@mcs.net