Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:15:32 -0400
From:      Sean Cavanaugh <millenia2000@hotmail.com>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>, <current@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: URGENT: Need help rebuilding iir RAID5 array with failed drive

Most GOOD RAID cards will let you rebuild an array from the card BIOS outsi=
de the OS.
Some will even do it automatically, if you replace the failed drive, while =
the system is fully up and running (of course it slaughters your drive acce=
ss speed while it rebuilds the data on the new drive)
If your RAID card can only interact with the drives from within an OS, I wo=
uld highly suggest getting a better RAID card to save you trouble in the fu=
ture.
=20
the fact that you have the array as RAID 5 shows that you haven't lost any =
data and should not get any data errors as far as the OS can see.
-Sean Cavanaugh
=20

> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 06:49:19 -0700> From: yanefbsd@gmail.com> To: curr=
ent@freebsd.org; freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> CC: > Subject: URGENT: Need=
 help rebuilding iir RAID5 array with failed drive> > Hello,> First off sor=
ry for the cross-post. I typically don't do this> but this is an important =
question, so please bear with me. I'm just> trying to get more eyes on the =
subject so I can (maybe) get a reply> quicker...> I'm running 8-CURRENT on =
my machine and it appears that one of> the disks in my RAID5 array has take=
n a nose dive (BIOS recognizes> that it exists, but Intel Matrix Manager cl=
aims that the disk is an> "Offline Member"). After doing some reading it ap=
pears that it's> kaput, so I need to get a replacement disk to fix this one=
...> That aside, I need to determine how to rebuild the array in a> Unix en=
vironment because Intel only provides instructions for how to> use their Wi=
ndows matrix manager. If anyone can point me to some links> or provide me w=
ith some pointers on how to correct this issue, I'd owe> you a lot; in fact=
 the next time you come by Santa Cruz, CA I'll> gladly treat you to some be=
ers or something else you might want :)...> Linux solutions (if there isn't=
 a proper one for FreeBSD) are valid,> as long as the core data remains unc=
orrupted and I can do what I need> to from a LiveCD. I'm just scared to boo=
t up OS and have it do some> irrevocable operation like fsck -y and assume =
parity errors are ok or> something along those lines (I don't remember if I=
 set rc.conf to> fsck -y and I know I can change that from single-user mode=
, but I want> to play things conservatively if at all possible) :\...> File=
system is UFS2 with softupdates of course.> Point proven that I need to bac=
kup my data more often :(...> TIA,> -Garrett> > PS If replying on the quest=
ions@ list, please CC me as I'm not> subscribed to that list.> ____________=
___________________________________> freebsd-questions@freebsd.org mailing =