Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 14:16:16 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        bill clarke <wlclarke@cats.ucsc>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, wlclarke@cats.ucsc.edu
Subject:   Re: intranet/internet routing

> i have two FreeBSD boxes on an ethernet with internal addresses
> 10.0.0.1 (a server called neutron) and 10.0.0.2 (a client called
> neutrino).
>
> the server is at IP 205.199.113.103 and i can connect to my provider
> gateway capts.znet.net (205.199.113.253) by user PPP.
>
> i have my server set up as a gateway, and my default route on the
> client set up as 10.0.0.1
>
> i can ping the provider gateway 205.199.113.253 from the server,
> and i can ping the server from the client over the ethernet.
>
> here's the problem: i cannot ping my provider gateway 205.199.113.253
> from the client 10.0.0.2 even though netstat -r says all the required
> routes appear to exist.

But your provider does not have a route to your client from itself, and
since it doesn't know where the packet came from (it shouldn't) it
receives the ping packet but has no route back to you.

You have to get your provider to route any packets to your network via
your server, which is a no-no since he shouldn't route packets from
those addresses in the first case.

You can't start your own Intranet with all your machines 'on the
Internet' this way.  You have to use something like SOCKS which makes
all of your machines 'appear' to be coming from one IP address.