Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 17:59:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Eric_Stanfield@kenokozie.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a very dumb backup question

Eric_Stanfield@kenokozie.com types:
> I have a number of freebsd boxes up that I've been backing up over the wire
> using samba shares and nt backup software.  In my ignorance as a newbie I
> didn't know if sticking a tape drive in the servers and using tar to
> perform backups would catch open files.  In my somewhat lesser ignorant
> state as a familiar freebsd guy, I still don't know so I figured I'd ask.
> Will open files (web pages, etc) be backed up to tape using tar?

Yes, they'll be backed up. Whether or not they'll be useful is another
question, that depends on what's going on in the open file.

This is the reason for wanting a file system quiescent when you back
it up. Historically, you do backups in single user mode to insure
that. Practically, the open files will have dates more recent than the
backup date after it finishes, so it's reasonable safe for
incrementals so long you don't hit the case some file being open
during backups every day.

Final comment - I'd recommend dump instead of tar, especially for the
root file system, because historically it's tracked changes to the
file sysystem and special files better than tar.

	<mike