Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:27:03 -0400
From:      "Clarence Brown" <clabrown@granitepost.com>
To:        "'Alfred Perlstein'" <bright@wintelcom.net>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 4.1 lockup at isa0: on reboot

I modified the for line to stop after 383 and before 3c3
by changing the comparison in the for statement from
"< 0xff" to "< 0xf0".

This did indeed do what I expected, stopping the for loop
at 383 instead of 3c3, but the machine still locked up and
the last line displayed was "Trying Read_Port at 383"
instead of 3c3. So, what ever is going awry doesn't seem
to involve the 3c3 port specifically.

Next I added another verbose mode printf at the bottom of
the loop to print "Done Read_Port at XXX" to see if it
was completing that function call. It did printf the "Done"
message, so it locked up after this loop.

Next, just to be sure I commented out the whole for loop
like your suggested patch would have done. This prevented
any of the verbose mode messages about Read_Port from being
displayed, but the system still locked up after the isa0:
message.

I tried to figure out where the pnp_identify routine was
being called from using grep, but only found it in what
looked like a structure definition. I don't know where
it's being called from...

The system seems to be locking up sometime after pnp_identify
but before the line "isa_probe_children: disabling PnP devices"
is printed.

Any ideas?