Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 06:21:42 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Midnight Commander

We're seeing a few common favourites among the top tens.
It might be helpful to hear a bit about how people are using them.

Midnight Commander is something that has as many uses as there are
people using it. It's great for poking around directories, copying and
moving files, and you've still got a command prompt there all the time.

I use it a lot for reading documents. Formatted documents like man
pages come up really nicely when you hit F3 on them. That's handy
when snooping inside a gzipped file like a FreeBSD package.

Recently I discovered how easy it makes FTP. I like the normal FTP most
of the time because it's quick and simple, but with Midnight Commander
you can browse and tag files on the remote system and then shoot them
across to the chosen local directory with a single keystroke.

There's a nasty trick in the new version: previously the command to
start it was 'mc' but they changed that to 'midc' recently.

And no, you've never needed linux emulation to run it. Just install from
the package, type 'midc' and go for it! When you want to get out press
F10 (or Esc 0 if your function keys don't work). And if you start
exploring and get into something you regret, pressing Esc twice quickly
usually backs you out, and of course F1 is Help.

BTW, has anyone noticed that it's always easy to find out how to start
something but you have to dig around for ages to work out how to exit?
Few doccos remember to tell us that right up front where we need it.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-