Date:      Sun, 09 Jan 2000 00:30:22 -0500
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Certification - Sysadmin liability ?

Since there is no FreeBSD certification AFAIK, what sort of
certifications are good, if nothing else for a resume and such.  For
networking type stuff there's the Cisco certs (CCNA, CCIE, etc.), and
Micro$oft has the MCSE and such.  Is there something more generic that
hiring types like to see?

Heiko Recktenwald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Well, there's a professional group of systems administrators (SAGE;it's
> > affiliated with USENIX, which is another organization that it's a good
> > idea to know about).
> >
> > And the notion of "certification for systems administrators" tends to be
> > one of the more contentious issues discussed, both in the sage-members
> > mailing list and at face-to-face meetings.
>
> What should a certification be good for ? I dont think BSD needs
> promotion, and else ? Sysadmin liability comes to mind. Well, as a law
> student, not a professional admin, I think all cases are too different, to
> be judged according to the fact if somebody had a general license to admin
> or not. But I dont know any cases. Are there any ?
>
> Heiko

Laurence Berland, Stuyvesant HS Debate
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Windows 98: n.
        useless extension to a minor patch release for
        32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a
        16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,
        written by a 2-bit company that can't stand for
        1 bit of competition.
http://stuy.debate.net
icq #7434346                    aol imer E1101
The above email Copyright (C) 1999 Laurence Berland
All rights reserved