Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 23:22:14 -0600
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com>
To:        Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting question

On Feb 02, 1997 at 06:15:00PM -0800, Snob Art Genre wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Bill Northlich wrote:

> > Hi,
> > The manual says that the FreeBSD root file system must be within the
> > 1st 504 mb. of the disk, else booting wont work (p. 27).  However,
> > could I put it out on the end of the disk and boot from floppy every
> > time?  Thanks,

> Yeah.

Just a few points: yeah it does work, and it's harder to install if you don't
have a wd0 disk.  I seem to have a broken BIOS in my SCSI controller (it
doesn't recognize any of my devices on boot, works great after the kernel gets
done with it).  Since I rarely reboot, this isn't much of an inconvenience.

Basically, the situation is:

The boot option '-a' appears broken.  It's supposed to ask for a root device
sometime during boot. This forces you to use '-r' to mount a root other than
the boot device, meaning you have to use a line: 'config root on <device>'
(wd0 in GENERIC).  So if you have to put your root device on something other
than wd0, you have to jump through a couple hoops during the install to also
build a new kernel during the install.

--
Zach Heilig (zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com) | ALL unsolicited commercial email
Support bacteria -- it's the only         | is unwelcome.  I avoid dealing