Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:19:54 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Much better!

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 21:01:41 +1200, Juha Saarinen wrote:

> What package dependency problem?

Port dependencies are evaluated as follows:

	If file X isn't installed, install port Y.

However, package dependencies are evaluated as follows:

	If package X isn't installed, install package Y.

This is a subtle, but serious problem.  Take the mod_perl port as an
example, since it's pissed me off since I committed it.  The port
effectively says:

	If the apxs binary is installed, consider the dependency
	satisfied and get on with the build.

	If the apxs binary isn't installed, install the www/apache13
	port.

However, when the package is built from the port, the dependency changes
subtly, to:

	If the apache-1.3.20 package is installed, consider the
	dependency satisfied and get on with the installation.

	If the apache-1.3.20 package isn't installed, install the
	apache-1.3.20 package.

That basically means that you can't build packages that work for any
number of "provider ports".  In the case of mod_perl, there are at least
6 Apache ports that would suffice as dependencies, but if you want to
use one other than www/apache13, you have to install mod_perl from the
ports; you can't use the package.

Ciao,
Sheldon.