Date:      06 Jul 1996 09:36:17 -0500
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What's up with ownership?

Is there any reason why files I create in /tmp (group owned by bin) are
also group owned by bin? I only ask because I get the annoying message:

$ mv /tmp/somefile ~
mv: ./somefile: set owner/group: Operation not permitted

It seems like a security risk to be able to create a file in a random
world writable directory, and have it created with a gid other than
one I belong to.  I remember the old unix behavior when the directory
had to have the setgid bit on for files/directories created in it be
have the same gid as the directory.  Are files created in a directory
supposed to have the same gid as the directory (when the directory
doesn't have the setgid bit on), or does FreeBSD have a bug?

--
Zach Heilig (zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com)
Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!