Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:35:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Omar Thameen <omar@clifford.inch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT and ECC memory

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Omar Thameen wrote:

> Is there anything special about the DPT ECC memory that they sell,
> apart from it being ECC?  DPT lists the price at over $1100 for 16M,
> but my vendor is telling me that he sells 32M of 70 pin ECC memory for
> around $70.  Why the disparity?

  The DPT ECC memory is custom made, and has more ECC bits than normal
parity memory.  Its main selling point, is that you can reformat your hard
drives with a larger sector size, and run ECC end-to-end.  This is
probably excessive data security for most.

  BTW, you should always put regular parity memory into a DPT controler.
This is definitely not excessive.  Make sure your system memory is parity
too.

Tom