Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:39:19 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        lrh@alum.mit.edu, tech@freebsdmall.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New name for Floppy disk devices?

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 06:42, Dr. Lyman Hazelton wrote:
> OK, so sometimes serial devices that one would expect to have names in
> /dev like sio0 or sio1 are now called cuaa0 or cuaa1 (for reasons
> beyond my understanding).  Now I can see my floppy disk in the dmesg
> output, but there doesn't appear to be an fdc0 in /dev.  Did floppy
> disk devices get renamed, too, or is it hiding somewhere else, or did
> it, for some unknown reason, just vanish?  I'm trying to create a
> floppy disk boot pair, and can't write to a device I can't find.
> Help?

I have been using FreeBSD since version 2.0.5 and during that time=20
the serial callin ports have always been named ttyd?, callout ports cuaa?
and floppy drives fd0, fd1. The names are not new or changed.

I guess you could have created your own device files or renamed them choo=
sing=20
any name you want; but most people find it more convenient to stay with t=
he=20
defaults as other applications won't find them.

I think you may be confused with the serial driver names, sio? and the fl=
oppy
disk controller name fdc0; which as far as I can remember always have bee=
n and=20
still are.

Malcolm Kay=20