Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 1996 13:47:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel tty problem

I've posed this problem a couple of times before and I'm really hoping
that the third time is the charm because I'm pretty much out of ideas.

I'm running 2.1.5-STABLE here; originally made from the CD-ROM sources.
I'm using CTM, subscribed to the -STABLE branch. Everything was running
just fine until I decided to recompile the kernel to add ipfw. After
compiling the new kernel, I found that the interpretation of ansi was
seriously confused. Thinking I might have had a library out of sync or
some other oddity caused by CTM, I did a complete 'make world'. The new
kernel was still incorrect, the old kernel still ran fine.

What I get is that a large number of programs suddenly no longer
understand control keys. Pico, for instance, won't intrepret a control-X
as a control - it simply displays "^X" on the screen. Same for arrow keys.
Console switching with Alt+1..Alt+n still works, and command line editing
also works correctly with the new kernel - but virtually no application
that uses control keys does. This is all using cons25. I did a 'tset -s'
with the kernel that doesn't work and the one that does and they're
identical, so I've more or less ruled out termcap.db problems. Starting a
session from a telnet connection results in a refusal from pico to run
because the terminal "isn't a terminal device". Again, it works fine with
the old kernel. I've also rebuilt the kernel with exactly the same
configuration as the kernel that works... and it still behaves the same
(e.g. doesn't work). The remaining noticable oddity is that when you log
in from the console (any ptty), your login name is repeated prior to the
password prompt:

	login: bozo
	bozo
	password:

I'm out of ideas here, and I'm hoping somebody can point me in a new
direction. Would I be better off changing over to the -CURRENT branch, and
if so, how can I do that? (Wipe off all the changes back to the CD sources
and apply all the CTM -CURRENT changes?) Is anybody aware of any source
changes that would have mangled this? Should I be posing this problem to a
different list?

Thanks in advance...

-Dave