Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2007 13:08:08 -0500
From:      Eric Crist <mnslinky@gmail.com>
To:        Robin Becker <robin@reportlab.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: temporary su login

On Sep 5, 2007, at 10:37 AMSep 5, 2007, Robin Becker wrote:

> My collocation supplier is about to move our FreeBSD box and wants
> some way to shut it down cleanly. Is there a simple way to allow a
> non-root user to have shutdown rights without just giving them the
> world. At present I don't even allow login via ssh on that box ie
> it's purely key based.

I'm sure nobody will mention this, so I will.  On most systems with
support ACPI, your colo provider can simply press the power button on
the front of your server.  FreeBSD's kernel will pick up the signal
and shut down cleanly.

Once you're moved, they can press the same button to power the system
on.  There is *NO* need to give them login access to the box.  Also,
they could simply call you to have you shut it down.

-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks