Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 00:42:51 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Alvin <vj2786x@mbox4.singnet.com.sg>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix and FreeBSD

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, David Kelly wrote:

> "Alvin" writes:
> > How similar is FreeBSD to commercial Unix? Will knowing FreeBSD help me in
> > using commercial Unix later on?
>
> In my experience, FreeBSD is as different from SGI Irix as Irix is
> different from Sun Solaris, as Solaris is different from FreeBSD.

	Altho they are all different, they are built on the same
foundation/premise.  In answer to the original question, yes...knowing
FreeBSD will *help* you in using commercial Unix later on...it will give
you the basics to build from, but be prepared to have to seek out answers
specific to each variant you visit...and each variant out there has their
"niceties".

	Solaris has two things I wish we had...file system ACLs (makes
working with Samba beautiful) and what I consider to be a very nice print
daemon and interfaces (SysV?)...

> Sun has a promo where for home or educational use you can purchase a
> copy of Solaris 2.6.0 for $10 (was over $18 by the time they added
> shipping and taxes). This is a very good deal, if for nothing else but
> the printed documentation. Haven't installed mine but am told it lacks a
> compiler.  :-(

	I have 20+ Unix servers at work, and I think one or two of them
have Sun compilers.  Go to 'smc.vnet.net', where Solaris binaries are
found, including compilers and the like :)

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org