Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 08:59:38 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: devices

> Does anyone know how a device gets itself in the list to be probed?  I

/usr/sbin/config takes care of it.  It reads a config file (lets name
it GENERIC for now :->) where all devices and their resources get
listed.  From this it builds a source file named ioconf.c which goes
under /usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC.

This source file contains tables with all the devices.  From there one
gets the information which device drivers are in this particular
kernel.  The rest is just going through this tables and for each of
the drivers examining their device structure for the field which
denotes the probe function.  Then this function gets called and if it
says "hardware is there" one can attach the driver.

Of course all this information is w/o guarantees about correctness.
It's what I know by now about this from reading sources.  But I think
it can't be too far from reality.  ;-)

Stefan.