Date:      Sat, 6 May 2006 13:59:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Gergely CZUCZY <phoemix@harmless.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jail issue question

On Sat, 6 May 2006, Gergely CZUCZY wrote:

> hi all
>
> i've got this issue:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/89528
>
> i'd like to look into it, because i'm not experience with the
> development of the freebsd (or any other) kernel, yet i'd like
> to create a temporary solution. it would consist of a userspace
> utility that invokes a kernelspace function that cleans out the
> unused jail entry from the "jail registry", and perhaps cleans out
> other related entries(such as processes inside the jail).
>
> my question is, on which kernel tree should I try to manage this,
> on my desktop currently i run 6-STABLE, first i though this could
> be good, but maybe i should do it on -CURRENT. so, which tree should
> i examine, check and maybe modify a bit?

If you look at the audit trail in kern/89528 (96729 was closed as a
duplicate) its related to the known pty leak issue. Writing a tool to
brute-force free those resources will not help at all and likely lead to
an immediate panic when something tries to reference the object you
forcibly detached from the jail.

If you can come up with a reliable test case that causes this pty leak,
and be willing to test patches, then it would greatly help the debugging
effort.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org