Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 22:22:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Randy DuCharme <randyd@nconnect.net>
To:        Jason Garman <garman@phs.k12.ar.us>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Accessing primary&secondary ide interface freezes 2.1.5

On 20-Sep-96 Jason Garman wrote:
>>On Sun, 15 Sep 1996, Randy wrote:
>

>> Jason,
>>    I don't know of a FBSD solution ( tho there may be one ) but I do know
>> that I ran into this very same problem with NT-Server.  Microsoft released
>> a  software fix for this controller.  (This obviously won't help for
>> unix :)  ) I personally avoid, and refuse to use mainboards with this
>> controller, and opt for either UMC, or SMC chips.
>>
>So is this a known problem with this chip? I remember another bug found
>with this (RZ1000 or something?) but I don't remember anything about this.
>
>Is there a patch or anything for this? Any bets on the chances I would
>have if i called the manufacturer and complained?
>
>Enjoy
>--
>Jason Garman                             http://www.nesc.k12.ar.us/~garman/
>Student, Eleanor Roosevelt High School                 garman@phs.k12.ar.us

Again, I only know of what I ran into with NT Server, and it was only evident
when trying to use more that one device on it.  It was touted as being a bug
in the chip, but then that could have been political :).  I do know that I
tore my hair out over the project, tried the Microsoft patch, and then shortly
after that, threw out the board and went with another vendor (and in the
meantime talked the customer into SCSI).  As far as getting a patch ->
doubtful at best... Anyone?

Good luck