Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 1996 07:45:24 +0100 (GMT+0100)
From:      "Alain FAUCONNET" <af@biomath.jussieu.fr>
To:        UFCK28C@prodigy.com (MR BRIAN A NEAL)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing X

MR BRIAN A NEAL wrote / a ecrit:

> I've got the dos partition mounted,
>
> and I have the needed files for
> xfree86
>
> I've created /usr/X11R6 and copied
> to tar's there, then
>
> for i in x312*.tgz; do
> tar -xzf $i
> done
>
> but I just get "cannot find file errors"
> when I do this, the xfree readme says
> to do this in root login, but when I try
> that the for command is not recognized.

You DO need to have root privileges do install nearly  every  software
package, at least anything that creates files in /usr or /usr/local.

Tar complains because it tries to extract files to  subdirectories  of
/usr/X11R6 (you did create that one as root didn't you?) which he  has
been unable to create (because of file permissions).

So:

1)  type  that  list  of commands logged in as root (or type "su" from
your normal account)

2)  bring  up  a Bourne subshell by typing "sh". The default shell for
the  root  account  on  FreeBSD  is  the C-shell which has a different
syntax  for  "for" loops. It would accept the following (just for your
information) :

foreach i (*.tgz)
tar -xzf $i
end

Bonne chance,
_Alain_
--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE