Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:47:12 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <monkey@crackula.com>
To:        Margie W <walemom@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Least Painful Upgrade Path

# cd /usr/ports/sysinstall/portupgrade
# make install clean
# portupgrade -v apache-2\*

now, if you made your own VirtualHosts, and made your own separate
directories (i.e. you didn't put all your pages under
/usr/local/www/data) then you won't need to rebuild your httpd.conf
or anything; it will all work fine.

if you DID put your stuff under /usr/local/www/data then you will
have to backup your data, but again the httpd.conf should remain
undamaged. no reason not to back it up though ::)

-Adam

Margie W took 1.3K on Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 11:47:57AM -0700 to say:
> Folks,
>
> I'm relatively new to BSD, so bear with me here...
>
> I have a system built about a month ago with
> 4.5-STABLE.  One of the packages I installed at that
> time was Apache-2.0.35.  I need to upgrade that
> package to 2.0.39 due to the security bug discovered
> last week.
>
> Is the easiest upgrade path to backup the site
> content, uninstall the package, and then re-install
> .39... then recreate the document directories.. and
> restore the content?
>
> Does pkg_add have a command line "upgrade" flag that I
> can use that automates all this?
>
> I've seen people metion CVS, which I'm not very
> familiar with.  From what I've read, that seems the
> best bet for performing a system-wide code
> update/upgrade (I think people refer to this as a
> 'build world', right?)... but overkill for one
> package.  Esp if I have to manually compose a
> functional Makefile and recompile the whole system.
>

> How do your answers change if I said I had a
> 4.0-STABLE system that I wanted to fully upgrade to
> 4.6, inc all packages/(custom) kernel.  CVSsup?  (I
> do, but it's another system that I can worry about
> later.)
>
> Appreciate any recommendations.

"I am disrespectful to dirt! Can you see I am serious!"
	-Mr. Sparkle
Adam Weinberger
monkey@crackula.com
http://www.crackula.com