Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 02:31:33 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        leer10@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-QUESTIONS@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports directory

From: "Lionel Echeverria" <leer10@hotmail.com>

> Hi there!  I recently installed FreeBSD 2.2.8 on my PC from the CD-Rom
> collection; therefore I also installed a few packages that should appear
> in the /usr/ports directory.  However, while it appears that the
> packages were installed, when I go to the /usr directory, the ports
> directory does not appear to be there, so I can't configure things like
> Mesa or Kde.  Also, when I run /stand/sysinstall, the packages appear
> marked with an X, meaning that the packages were in fact installed, but
> are nowhere to be found in the /usr directory.  Can you help me out with
> this problem?  Thanks.

Hi Lionel,

I think you're a bit confused.  That's Ok, I am too  :-)

Think of a FreeBSD package as a precompiled port.

There are many ports which don't get made into packages for the CD,
but every normal package has a corresponding port it was created
from.

I say 'normal package' because there are a couple which were
either manually assembled or the corresponding 'ports' was
never publicly released.

So, to answer your question:  Don't look in /usr/ports expecting
to find packages.  Have a peek at /usr/local/bin to see if you
have gobs of programs installed in there.

You can also look at /var/db/pkg to determine just which packages
are installed.

HTH,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net