Date:      02 Aug 2001 18:57:43 +0200
From:      sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor])
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Continuing ahc problems - also cause fxp failure

>> I see an identical problem with and without this diff applied on an
>> ASUS motherboard with onboard SCSI.  No onboard Ethernet.

Justin> Your problem is actually quite different.  In your case, the timeout
Justin> occurs in a data-out phase and the chips status tells us:

Justin> 1) The target still has us in data phase.

Justin> 2) SCSI dma is still enabled.

Justin> 3) Our data fifo is full of data to send on the SCSI bus,
Justin>    but its not going anywhere.

Justin> So, the aic7890 believes that the target has stopped requesting
Justin> more data, but we still haven't changed phase.  This is the classic
Justin> symptom of a flaky bus where the signals for clocking data are
Justin> degraded.  The target probably didn't see one or more of the controller's
Justin> ACKs, so we are stuck.  Double check your termination, cabling, power
Justin> supply, etc, etc.

Thanks for the comments.  I just checked once again, and everything
seems to be in order.  I decided to ax the active terminator and run
in S/E mode which has been working fine for >24h.  Crossing my fingers

Cheers =8-} Mike