Date:      Fri, 4 Jul 2014 15:31:31 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should 9.3 carry a warning about NEW_XORG

On 4 July 2014 08:24, Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk> wrote:

> I am following this with some interest - I was under the impression that
> from 9.3 onwards vt(4) was included by default. is this not tre ? Do
> I still need to recompile to use vt ?

In HEAD syscons(4) and vt(4) are now both compiled in by default in
the GENERIC kernel.  Syscons remains the default at the moment; you
can set the loader tunable kern.vty=vt to choose vt(4) instead.  Vt is
selected automatically if booting via UEFI on amd64.

Both stable/10 and stable/9 require a recompile to use vt(4).  The
plan is to merge these changes from HEAD in time for 10.1, but 9.3
will not have them.

Note that vt(4) enables vty switching from Xorg, but WITH_NEW_XORG
generally should not depend on vt(4).  X should work fine, just
without the ability to switch back to a vty.  If WITH_NEW_XORG fails
on certain hardware I think it'll be independent of the use of sc(v)
vs vt(4).

-Ed