Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 07:48:29 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SirCam virus

On 07/23/01 09:39 PM, Thierry Black sat at the `puter and typed:

> >Hey Ted and Thierry.  I am curious about the cyrus/procmail thing.  I
> >am running Cyrus 1.6.24 with Procmail (don't remember the version).
> >
> >I am handling this pretty much the way you suggested, Ted, except that I
> >may be doing it the wrong way.  There are several issues with using
> >sendmail and Cyrus.  Unfortunately, Cyrus is somewhat notoriously
> >difficult to configure with sendmail (at least in my experience).  I
> >am under the impression that it is necessary to have several flags set
> >to make Cyrus run smoothly.  Procmail is configured to call deliver,
> >which will then pop the message into the correct mailbox.
>
> Hi Louis--The problem I experience with cyrus is that its deliver doesn't
> actually do local delivery (I don't want local delivery), so I don't
> understand what configuring procmail to intercept local delivery would help
> if cyrus is already sending mail to its own spool directories for each user
> in /var/spool/imap/user/, not /var/mail.
>
> Ted's message was helpful, but I must be missing something.
> In my sendmail.cf, I have an Mcyrus section for the cyrus mailer,
> and there is an Mlocal section for local delivery (about 4 ids use local
> delivery here instead of cyrus, like root, for one), but I think procmail
> needs to happen before either Mcyrus or Mlocal so that it can filter both
> kinds of mail, right?
>
> Mail would need to go from sendmail to procmail, then to cyrus, or local
> delivery, but I don't understand it well enough to make that happen.

Hmm.  Maybe I am misunderstanding the meaning of 'local delivery'.  Imap
keeps the mail in one place, but the uers may access it from anywhere.
I understood local delivery to mean messages being delivered to a user
account on the local imap server.  That message may have come from some
other account on the local server, or from another network altogether.
The alternative is a message intended for a recipient on another
server - in which case the MTA (sendmail) should be the one to deliver
it.

I guess I am confused because you say you don't want local delivery.
I'm pretty sure I don't understand something (maybe a lot of
somethings) here.

The way I have it working now on my RH6.2 box is for sendmail to think
it is using the cyrus mailer.  However, in the Mcyrus section, I have
changed the command from deliver to procmail along with the flags.
Sendmail probably doesn't even need to know about cyrus, and I could
have just told it to use procmail.  Procmail will call deliver itself.
Seems to do the job, but I still feel like it is a hack.

One reason I wanted to use procmail instead of the Cyrus Sieve tool,
is that procmail is much more established and stable.  I have
interpreted the relatively large number of 'im having trouble with
sieve' messages on the cyrus-info list to mean that it is, at best
difficult to set up properly.  Procmail is distributed with a starter
/etc/procmailrc that is good (except you have to set up the deliver
call - let me know if you go this route - I' let you have a copy of
mine).  Besides, there are so many resources for procmail out there
you won't believe it.  Hundreds of spam killer recipes are available.

Anyway, I guess I have a lot of reading to do, but I won't have time
for it for a while.  Good luck with your config, and if it isn't too
much trouble, I'd like to hear what you finally decide.  I have
actually been considering checking out another imap server, but I like
the cyrus method of keeping the mail separate from the users home
directory.  I wonder how courier handles it?

Good luck

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

The aim of science is to seek the simplest explanations of complex
facts.  Seek simplicity and distrust it.
    -- Whitehead.