Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 21:54:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu (Andrew Gallatin)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mach64-svga on FreeBSD/alpha

As Andrew Gallatin wrote ...

> Wilko Bulte writes:

> Darn.  I should have thought about this sooner.... About 1 year ago,
> when we were first getting X working, I used one of the ATI Mach64
> cards that shipped in some older AS200s.  This was a borrowed card.  I
> wrote the following about it in private email after getting it working:
>
>  > I borrowed an Ati Mach64 from a friend (thanks Sean!), and it
>  > appears to work just fine.  My AS200 has been up for 1/2 hour running
>  > netperf TCP streams (over a 100mb nic), Bonnie, a remotely displayed
>  > 'ico', all while I drag opaque windows around over a complex gif
>  > background.  Its not exactly speedy, but its rock solid.
>  >
>  > Speaking of the ATI server, it tries to grope around in the bios
>  > strings to figure out the ramdac & clock chip. I bludgeoned the driver
>  > into submission & specified the ramdac/clock chips in my config file.
>  > But there are probably more drivers that do this; I guess we'll need
>  > to make xf86ReadBIOS work..
>
> I don't know if xf86ReadBIOS was ever fixed.  But you might want to
> try specifying the clock chip & ramdac.  I no longer recall what I
> meant by "bludgeon the driver into submission" & I no longer have that
> copy of the X server code.  I do still have the xf86 config file where
> I said:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier "m64"
>         ClockChip       "ics2595"
>         Ramdac  "stg1702"
>         Option "override_bios"
>         Option "no_block_write"
>         Option "no_bios_clocks"
> #       Clocks  135.0 80.0 40.0
> EndSection

I tried these, building on my i386 version of XF86config that I used
on my Intel box with this card. The only difference is my Ramdac BTW.

Alas it does not work :-( Some more hacking to do I guess.

> These are almost certainly wrong for your spiffy new card, but you get
> an idea of what I needed to inform the X server about.

It is not a spiffy new card :) I already have it a couple of years
(and I bought it for a few bucks at a flea market)