Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 22:58:58 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bad news regarding Creative Soundblaster Live! programming info..

It looks like E-mu/Creative Labs doesn't have any freely available
programming information for the E-mu 10K1 PCI audio processor.  This is
the heart of the Creative Soundblaster Live! product.  I sent some
email to the guy that did a presentation at Hot Chips '98 earlier
this year asking about it, and:

> I apologize for the long delay in responding to you.  At the current
> time, Creative is not releasing to any outside party the technical
> details of the EMU10K1 necessary to write a device driver.  There is a
> possibility at a future date that, with appropriate non-disclosure
> agreements, this information will be made available.  Your name and
> contact information has been noted for consideration if and when the
> information will be made available.  I have a few questions to ask you
> concerning your past experience.

This is really too bad, 'cause the thing sounds pretty nifty in
Windows98.  I guess this thing is out of the running as a FreeBSD
PCI-based sound card.

If anything changes, I'll pass it along.  I replied and indicated that
an NDA is somewhat incompatable with doing an open-source device driver
for FreeBSD.

louie