Date:      Sun, 06 Jul 1997 09:15:54 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Nathan Dorfman <nathan@deimos.senate.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /tmp and Disk Space

Nathan Dorfman wrote:

> I created the following setup when I installed FreeBSD 2.2.2:
>
> 32M     /
> 30M     /var
> 390M    /home
> 515M    /usr
> 63M     /swap
>
> The 32M / was recommended by the setup itself. However, now I have almost no
> space on / because of the /compat crap. Here is the output of a df:
>
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/wd0a       31775    28671      562    98%    /
> /dev/wd0s1f    386655     9901   345822     3%    /home
> /dev/wd1s1e    511583   381576    89081    81%    /usr
> /dev/wd0s1e     29727     2124    25225     8%    /var
> (THAT is a moused bug, it was not double spaced!)
>
> Anyhow, if I make a symbolic link /tmp -> /var/tmp, is that OK? Also, can I
> just rm -rf parts of the /usr/src tree I don't need? I haven't installed any-
> thing and I'm already 81% (lie, i installed some packages).

Having /tmp on the root filesystem is a Bad Thing(tm) anyhow (even if
space is not a consideration). However, /tmp and /var/tmp are better
kept separate. The better solution would be one of the following:

1. Use MFS for /tmp (assuming you have no swap space problems).
2. Make /tmp a link into the /usr filesystem.

You may also want to clean up your root filesystem by:
1. Removing old kernels (i.e. kernel.old and kernel.prev if you've ever
upgraded your system).
2. Making sure ~root/ doesn't have any left-overs in it (for example, if
you've ever fired up Netscape as root you're likely to have about 5MB of
Netscape cache on your root filesystem...).
3. Removing core dumps that may end up in the root directory by many
daemonds/utilities (if they ever core-dump).

As for the sources, you can remove anything you want. You just won't be
able to make world then...

Nadav