Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:03:17 +0100
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: moving /home to new drive

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:03:04 -0400
Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu> wrote:

> Since the old one is not a file system
> unto itself, you will not be about to use dump (well you could
> in a certain way, but) so, probably you will want to use tar with a
> -P.

One problem with tar and cp is that they can't properly copy sparse
file like dump|restore can, so in certain cases data can blow-up in
size.

cpio claims to be be able to recreate sparse files, but I found that
when I tried this on mlnet data, some of the download
percentage-complete figures dropped, suggesting it hadn't got it right.