Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 15:44:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        brian@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Contributing to the project (Was: Re: Default gnome configuration)

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Brian McGroarty wrote:

> Last time I tried submitting anything it was dismissed without
> even a test because D. Greenman didn't seem to want anyone else
> touching his NE2000 driver. Thus the full duplex operation
> memory size bug remains in place. Additionally, earlier offers
> at assisting ISA PNP weren't met with any kind of welcoming
> support, so I'm content to remain a user, and to continue
> developing other platforms.

	I can't speak to your previous experiences, but as someone who has
banged his head against the same brick walls I can offer you some advice.
I have found that the best way to get something noticed is to:

1. Write the code
2. Submit a PR
3. Wait a few days, then draw attention to the PR on -hackers, -current or
-stable; as appropriate.

	This doesn't always get my stuff contributed, but it does usually
get it noticed and/or commented on. While it's true that a lot of the
developers are not open to input from very many people, in general good
ideas get noticed by someone, and the PR system leaves it in the queue so
that at some point in the future things often get done.

Hope this helps,

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter