Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2001 01:37:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Bert Driehuis <driehuis@playbeing.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cluster Solution for FreeBSD

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Matt Dillon wrote:

>     The quick and dirty thing to do is simply setup a DNS round robin
>     for the domain name used to access the servers.
	[snip]
>     That leaves just dealing with downed servers.

That depends on your service. It won't fly if you use something that has
a concept of session. This is where Eddie comes in, except I too found
Eddie to be too complex to want to rely on unless you can afford to plow
significant time into learning -- anyone who is not willing to learn the
programming language it is written in should probably not want to depend
on it at this stage).

As an alternative (or supplement) to round robin DNS, one could consider
IP takeover. Web servers are paired, and if one detects the other to go
down, it assigns the other IP address as a secondary of its own. I'm not
aware of ready made daemons for FreeBSD that do this, but finding out
and writing one if necessary is on my to do list (sigh -- so is getting
Cricket 1.0.3 out the door and rewriting the OS interface of net-snmp
:-)

As a third alternative, one could hack up lbnamed (a set of perl tools
that implement a DNS server that can handle load balancing and dead host
detection). I started on this, but the requirement to get it running
sort of faded over time so I never got round to finishing it). The hard
part (the DNS bits) are done and don't need touching. There's a link on
www.isc.org to it someplace. The easy bit that needs finishing is
writing a simple tool that updates a plaintext file that the DNS uses to
determine where to redirect a client. This would implement the bits from
Eddie I need most without requiring me (or my colleagues who might need
to service it in an emergency) to learn a new language. I recommend
downloading lbnamed even if you don't plan to run it because it contains
a quite lucid description of some of the DNS issues and how to deal with
them.

Cheers,

				-- Bert

--
Bert Driehuis -- driehuis@playbeing.org -- +31-20-3116119
If the only tool you've got is an axe, every problem looks like fun!