Date:      Sat, 01 Jun 2002 07:43:27 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@stud.uni-dortmund.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RELEASE delayed

If memory serves me right, Matthias Andree wrote:

> > Holding up the release indefinitely is not really an alternative.  Our
> > calendar from 2002 includes the following releases and snapshots:
> > 4.5-RELEASE, 5.0-DP1, 4.6-RELEASE, 5.0-DP2, 4.7-RELEASE, 5.0-RELEASE.
> > Put another way, the same people trying to get 4.6-RELEASE out the door
> > now are going to try to bring the 5.0-DP2 snapshot to you twenty-six
> > days from today. [1]
>
> Yup. I'm just wondering if a bugfix would be committed to 4.6-STABLE
> (that usually should only receive security fixes).

I think you may be a little confused here.

The 4-STABLE development branch (with the CVS tag RELENG_4) will take on
various names during its lifetime, including 4.6-STABLE, 4.7-PRERELEASE,
and 4.7-RC.  It will eventually be the basis of 4.7.  It will definitely
get the bugfix, once one is created.

The 4.6 release/security branch (with the CVS tag RELENG_4_6) will have
version numbers of the form 4.6-RELEASE, 4.6-RELEASE-p1, 4.6-RELEASE-p2,
and so forth.  It normally only gets security fixes and critical system
bugfixes.  I think it's *way* too early to be thinking about applying an
ATA tagged queueing bugfix to this branch, since the bugfix in question
doesn't even exist yet.  (Neither does the branch, for that matter.)

Hope this helps,

Bruce.