Date:      Wed, 04 Aug 1999 23:11:18 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Guenther Schmidt <guenther.schmidt@worldcity.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ISDN & Fax....?

Guenther Schmidt writes:
>I just had to learn today that is not possible to use my Fritz Classic
>ISDN Card for faxing under Linux, which was quite a dissapointment,
>because even Windows manages that (for almost a full day).
>
>Is this possible under FreeBSD (version 3.2)? I was told by the German
>SuSE support line that Linux was not a realtime OS, and I'm not even
>sure how to interpret that. What about FreeBSD and Realtime?

not possible. The reply from SuSE relates to the fact that, basically, you
have to convert the FAX contents on-the-fly to tones and emit them. That
requirs a lot of horse power. Under WinDoze you can sort of get away with
it since it's basically a one-process-at-a-time-let-the-user-wait type
of system. Under UNIX it's not good etiquette for any process to hog the
CPU, which is what would happen if we tried to support sending FAXes.

Linux only supports sending FAXes with an AVM B1. That's because the
processor on the B1 is doing all the dirty work. Someday the B1 may be
supported by i4b. But the B1 is way too expensive for a casual user.

>PS. Is there an easy tool to reconfigure your kernel?

vi

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de