Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 15:08:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        bulldog@fxp.org
Subject:   Re: Windows as opposed to Other OS's

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Lawrence Sica wrote:

> But that expensive mac hardware looks cooler ;).

I agree. Last week I saw some Mac OS X powered system at CompUSA (in
Mountlake Terrace, Washington). The monitor was a long LCD screen. The
salesman said it was a 22-inch screen. It looked great.

I noticed that when hovering over the icons at bottom made them slightly
grow to show they are highlighted. I see that newer versions of KDE have
that feature too.

Now back to Bob's original posting about why people choose an OS or why
they don't choose an OS.

I choose an OS for several reasons:

I can do what I need to do -- most of the time.

It is fun to use -- part of the fun is learning new and different things.
Maybe it may have problems or difficulties, but it is fun to resolve.

I choose an OS where it is easy to track down errors; for example,
if there is some strange, undocumented error (for example with a NetBSD
boot loader message), I can grep the source and actually see what the
problem is.

I also choose an OS where I can easily customize it for performance and
stability, or customize it for aesthetics and usage. (I have never used
alternative window managers under a Microsoft Windows system yet -- other
than with some free, closed-source X server or VNC with X.)

For example, I thought the menus are often too wide in Blackbox window
manager -- so I simply rewrote that part of the code to limit the menu
width.

I choose an OS that is easy to use from remote locations and various
systems. For example, doing remote Windows administration can be quite
tedious over a slow connection. (But VNC at 128Kb is fine.) In comparison,
administration of Unix system over a 5Kb connection is quite fine.

I also like choosing an OS that I can rebuild and easily redesign for my
own needs; for example, I make bootable, live CDs that I use when teaching
classes or giving presentations. Having open source available makes it
easy to do.

I see my answers are mostly based on "open source" versus "no source"
instead of just operating systems' features. I rarely use Windows or Mac
OS for several years, so I can't remember if any of their features that I
really liked or now miss.

I do know that I miss using a quality, graphical, desktop publishing
software, like Quark Xpress under Mac OS.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/