Date:      Sat, 01 Sep 2001 02:06:12 -0400
From:      Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
To:        Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Athlon Processors

At 07:49 8/31/2001 -0400, Ted Sikora wrote:

>There's always going to be incompatabilities between boards what works
>on one won't on another even with supposedly identical components. I use
>nothing but AMD Slot-A/Socket-A/K6 with VIA and ALi chipsets on FreeBSD.
>After disabling APM in the kernel when the microtime error first
>appeared I have had zero problems. In fact I can't ever remember having
>such stable machines like I enjoy now.

I agree 100% my AMD based machines have been rock solid since day
one.  Unless something drastic happens soon, I'll never buy an Intel CPU again.

My "newest" Intel CPU is a P-133 in an old laptop I have here.  Aside from
that, I have a P-120 desktop running as a secondary name server.  All the
rest of the boxes on my network are AMD.  2 K6-2's, 1 Slot-A athlon, and 5
Thunderbirds.  Some (most) run FreeBSD, some run windows, but they're all
free of hardware problems.  All the AMD systems save one are VIA chipsets
as well, and I haven't ever had any of the problems described here.. there
may well be issues with APM, but I never use it, so I wouldn't notice those.

The Athlons run under full load pretty much 24/7 thanks to a mess of
servers running on some, windows on others, and seti@home on all of them.

-Allen