Date:      Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:17:02 +0100
From:      Viktor Petersson <petersson@gmail.com>
To:        Daniel Hartmeier <daniel@benzedrine.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible CARP bug?

On Mar 20, 2011, at 7:58 PM, Daniel Hartmeier wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 04:43:59PM +0100, Viktor Petersson wrote:
>=20
>> 	Mar  7 14:42:57 nas0 kernel: carp0: MASTER -> BACKUP (more =
frequent advertisement received)
>=20
> This could mean that the master is receiving its own CARP =
> back, and, thinking they come from another host, backs off.
>=20
> CARP advertisements are sent through the physical interface to a
> broadcast MAC address (01:00:5e:00:x:y) and the broadcast IP address
> 224.0.0.18.
>=20
> A real physical switch will forward that frame to all ports except the
> one it was received on, i.e. the frame will not be sent back to the
> sender.
>=20
> You mention a virtual enviroment, so maybe the switch is virtual, too,
> and behaves differently. You can check by tcpdump'ing on the physical
> interface of the master. You should see each advertisement once (going
> out, but tcpdump doesn't indicate the direction). Look at the IP IDs, =
if
> you see each ID twice, you're getting the broadcasts back.
>=20
> I think newer versions of CARP (in OpenBSD) contain an explicit check =
> detect this case (it can be thought of as a form of replay attack),
> which could be ported.
>=20
> But there might also be a setting in Qemu's virtual switch, that deals
> with such broadcasts.
>=20
> HTH,
> Daniel

Thank you for the analysis Daniel. You're dead on. The node did indeed =
receive its own broadcast package back.=20

Unfortunately that didn't really resolve the problem.=20

Matthew Grooms did however reach out to me with a patch that did resolve =
the problem that he wrote for VMware ESX,
which apparently is having the same issue.=20

The patch, along with instructions can be found here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-net@freebsd.org/msg30562.html

It would be great if someone could merge that fix into the main branch.=20=

Thanks for all the help guys!.

Regards,
Viktor=