From:      Walter Hafner <hafner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, hafner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Subject:   Re: IP Type of service (FTP proxy in German c`t)

First of all:

A couple of people mailed me directly and told me, that I'm probably the
victim of an April fools joke of the c't (The article was in the April's
issue). I had the suspection myself, therefore I tested the program
before I posted.

As you can see below, I really got speed improvements. If this is just
coincidence, well, go on, laugh at me. :-)

(Ok. You can stop now.)

If not, then I see a problem.

Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz> writes:

> If the intention is to accelerate downloads, then I don't think this
> proxy is going to do much. It might promote the treatment of packets outbound
> from the client if the rfc1349 precedence is set to 7, but it can have
> no control over the return packets -- and that's where all the data is
> on a download (which is what most people do).

I had a look on 1349, as soon as I read the article. The article
states, that "normally" all TOS and precedence settings from incoming
packets are simply copied to the outgoing packets (which makes
sense). That's the reason I checked the RFC. Unfortunately I didn't find
it mentioned. RCF1195 doesn't say much about it either.

I can't verify the assumption in detail (I´m no expert), but in a few
quick tests I watched this or a similar behaviour:

tcsh > ./FTPBooster-linux -Modem:128 -Priority:5
FTPBooster 1.0  1999 c't/Matthias Withopf
Bitte geben Sie das Kennwort fuer Stufe 5 - Priority 4 ein.
Wie lautet in c't 5/94 das 5. Wort in der vorletzten Zeile der 1. Spalte auf Seite 170?
Kennwort:
Gestartet auf 127.0.0.1:1414, Uebertragung 128 KBit/s, Stufe 5 - Priority 4...

tcsh > setenv ftp_proxy localhost:1414

tcsh > wget -Y off ftp://ftp.distributed.net/pub/rc5-64/current-client/rc5des-freebsd3-x86-elf-nomt.tar.gz
Connecting to ftp.distributed.net:21... connected!
13:28:26 (5.73 KB/s) - `rc5des-freebsd3-x86-elf-nomt.tar.gz' saved [206076]

tcsh > wget -Y on ftp://ftp.distributed.net/pub/rc5-64/current-client/rc5des-freebsd3-x86-elf-nomt.tar.gz
Connecting to localhost:1414... connected!
13:30:08 (14.11 KB/s) - `rc5des-freebsd3-x86-elf-nomt.tar.gz.1' saved [206076/206076]

From 5 to 14 KB/s ... and that's reproducable, not only for this
specific host. I experienced a speedup for some hosts I tested.

e.g. ftp.xig.com      4.5 KB/s       --> 14 KB/s
     ftp.sendmail.org 1.9 - 2.3 KB/s --> 2 - 14 KB/s
     ftp.vix.com      1.5 - 2.8 KB/s --> 5 - 14 KB/s

Yes, I downloaded several times (using wget) to get a representative
value. I didn't test different providers, router hardware, ftp software
etc. The above is really only a quick snapshot.

So, the proxy does _something_ and isn't a pure April fools joke. :-)

Please don't ask me, why this works, unless you accept the above
explanation.

> In networks which _do_ support aggregate treatment of packets based on
> the rfc1349 precedence or diffserv bits, the usual strategy is to enforce the
> setting of these bits on ingress to the provider's network from the customer.
> No sane network provider operates on the principle that their customers are
> (a) skilled enough or (b) honest enough to set the bits correctly themselves.

Unfortunately, I don't think so. Most of the providers are too lazy to
configure their routers correctly ("never touch a running system") or
simply don't know what they need to to.

> Having said that, I don't believe that many significant networks do anything
> at all with the rfc1349/diffserv bits further than cisco's alleged special
> treatment of precedence-7 traffic which is used for routing protocols.
> Concert Internet Plus is a notable exception, but they do ingress policing
> and shaping.
>
> Just my $0.02. I'm not worried about _our_ network :)

Well, download the proxy and test for yourself. It runs on FreeBSD
3.1. I _am_ worried.

-Walter

--
Walter Hafner__________________________________ hafner@in.tum.de