Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 21:43:38 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Holger Lamm <holger@eit.uni-kl.de>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fxtv: Video grabbing patch

Holger Lamm:

 |I'm just experimenting with video grabbing by fxtv.
 |Seems that mpegaudio doesn't like sox's AIFF output:
 |(apart from another mpegaudio problem I reported to their maintainer):

Right.  It's not just you.  The mpeg_musicin from ports has some odd byte
order problem I've never bothered to track it down.  Just need to grab and
build it yourself.  It's easy.  See Appendix A of:

     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fxtv/README

Like I said, I've not dug into where the FreeBSD port goes wrong, however
browsing it briefly for a second to night, I will say that patch-ab looks
pretty fishy:

     +CFLAGS += -DTABLES_PATH=\"${PREFIX}/share/mepgaudio/tables\"
                                                ^^^^
                                                 ?  Huh

 |I changed the intermediate format from AIFF to WAV and it works.

Mike Meyer suggested this before.  If this works for everyone, I can go
ahead and change it.  I don't see how it would adversely affect other
encoding paths.

 |The scripts mentions the sox parameters "-s -w" as "Hack to force 16-bit
 |signed (PCM driver)", but it seems that it doesn't work.
 |Ever had problems with that?

How do you mean doesn't work.  Did you have to remove -s -w in addition to
making the WAV change, or does it work with the -s -w in there and the WAV
change?

 |If I choose "MPEG 3" as audio output format, mpeg_musicin is also used,
 |which does not support layer 3.

Well, this version doesn't but previous versions took -l 3.  I haven't kept
up the progression of mpeg_audio.  Maybe there's another tool like gogo out
there we should switch to -- one that supports both layer 2 and 3 like
mpeg_musicin used to (?)  I played with gogo last year and mpeg_audio was
18 times slower at encoding MP3s than gogo.

...and maybe there's a better MPEG video encoder than mpeg_encode (?).

Randall

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@nc.rr.com