Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 12:22:29 -0700
From:      Locke Berkebile <locke@pushby.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot hang after install on VA Linux 2251

I'm having trouble with my system hanging on boot (prior to kernel load)
after installing.  I'm using 4.3-RELEASE, but I've also tried 4.2-RELEASE
to the same end.

I have a new VA Linux 2251 system with the following configuration:
  - Intel Server Board STL2
  - Dual PIII stepping 6, 866MHz
  - 1 512MB PC/133 SDRAM module
  - Adaptec 7899P rev 01 SCSI controller (onboard)
  - 5x Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.2GB hard drives
  - Intel 82557, Ethernet Pro 100 (onboard)
  - Mylex eXterme RAID 2000 RAID bus controller (PCI)

I have installed FreeBSD in the past on VA linux boxes with no trouble,
but the 2251 is a new system in their linup and (I assume) has new/different
components than the ones I've used in the past.

I've gone through the install process with and without the RAID card all
with the same result.  The install process appears to go fine (via ftp), but
when I boot after then install, the system hangs at the Boot Manager prompt
(or, if installed with an MBR only, with a message indicating that no
system was found).

Can anyone salve my suffering with any solace, or better, with some clues?

Cheers,

Locke Berkebile