Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:26:25 -0700
From:      "Darren Pilgrim" <dmp@bitfreak.org>
To:        "'RRrp Toren'" <rtoren@bronzedragon.net>, "'Charles Swiger'" <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: 3 NICs - 1 upstream, 2 downstream  to same subnet??

> From: RRrp Toren
>=20
>     The IP addresses here were picked for demonstration=20
> purposes. The actuals=20
> set can come from anywhere within the RFC 1918 network=20
> numbers. So picking a=20
> good IP the 1st time, in the blind, is like shooting a=20
> bullseye on the first=20
> shot in a pitchblack range you just stepped into. Then there=20
> are other layers=20
> that have to be bypassed. Sort of like Indiana Jones. There are many=20
> challenges to overcome, with only one attempt each. I am just=20
> asking about the=20
> technical feasability.

The problem, then, was your example addresses were very poor.  We all
got sidetracked on explaining a problem that doesn't even exist.  So
let's back up a bit:

What you want to do:

- One interface for your wired network.  Address space A.
- One interface for your wireless network.  A DHCP server hands out
leases from address space B to those MACs it recognizes and from address
space C to those it doesn't.

Is that about right?

> I have=20
> always thought routers could service a large subnet with=20
> multiple interfaces.=20
> And that FreeBSD could be configured as a router.

Routers typically use virtual interfaces, VLANs and other tricks to
separate address space from the physical interfaces.  This is because
you often need many separate interfaces and 100s of ports would cost
disturbing amounts of money.
 =20
There is also the concept of preference (cost), where each route to a
given destination is given a number that defines the order in which the
interfaces are used.  In normal operation, only the most preferred
(lowest-cost) route will be used.  I've never set FreeBSD up as anything
more than a static router, so I don't know if this level of
functionality is possible.  It should be if you run a routing protocol.