Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:24:17 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't use COM1 port

When I attempt to access the COM1 port on my IBM 600E, the system
locks up. The mouse is dead and CTRL-ALT-BS and CTRL-ALT-DEL do
nothing.

I have tried both minicom and kermit with similar results. I have also
looked at the dmesg and see disturbing things:
sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0 at port 0x3f8-ox3ff irq4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 8250
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

I have confirmed the IRQ and address for sio0 are the same as windows
uses on this system. Any idea how I might get this working? With a
rock-solid hang, it's pretty tough to get pointers to the problem.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)