Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 02:49:55 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Hyun Gu Kang <hyunkang@uiuc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: setting up fetchmail

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 04:10:20PM -0500, Hyun Gu Kang wrote:
> I am wondering how to set up fetchmail- for some reason the fetchmailconf
> program won't run even with Python installed.
>
> Does anyone have good ideas for doing mail in my current situation.
> I get all my school mail to the school unix machines, and with Windows, i
> used Eudora to use pop3 to get mail.

The ~/.fetchmailrc file that I am using to fetch my mail from the campus
machine called campus.host.name.gr for myself looks like:

	poll campus.host.name.gr proto pop3:
		user "myname", pass "******",
		is "localuser" here,
		fetchall, nokeep;

Then, my local sendmail takes care of mail send to localuser@localhost and all
works fine :)    For more fetchmailrc options, see the manpage of fetchmail(1)
where all the options of fetchmail are decribed in detail.

Put this into a file called .fetchmailrc in your HOME directory, and
edit appropriately.  Then call fetchmail when you're connected to the net, as
shown in:

	% fetchmail

and watch it fetch your mail.  If you want to test the ~/.fetchmailrc file,
without actually fetching the mail (debugging your fetchmailrc is a good
reason for doing such a thing):

	% fetchmail -c

Ciao,
Giorgos.