Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2000 10:46:24 -0400
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: RSA Donated to the public domain

Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <200009061312.HAA68224@harmony.village.org> Warner Losh writes:
> : RSA Security Releases RSA Encryption Algorithm into Public Domain
>
> Note that other information at the site says that RSAREF isn't
> released into the public domain.  Its use is still governed by
> copyright law, so we'll have to use the international version of
> RSAREF if we want to get RSA into -current.

RSAREF was only neccessary whilst the patent was
enforced. Now that RSA is released[1] we can use
the OpenSSL RSA implementation which is better.

[1] The press release talk about RSADSI "waiving its
    rights to enforce the RSA patent for any development
    activities"

    This is very cunning as the patent never actually
    covered development. Instead it covers usage and
    sales of products incorporating RSA, both of which
    are not explicitly allowed for in the press release.
    Better be careful, better get written approval!

Cheers,
Jeroen
--
Jeroen C. van Gelderen          o      _     _         _
jeroen@vangelderen.org  _o     /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)